Brick is a popular building material that can be used for both exterior and interior projects with great success. It is among the strongest man-made material having been used for thousands of years and magnificently withstanding the test of time. Brick comes in a vast array of options, and is beautiful, safe, durable, and nearly maintenance free because it takes many years before it shows signs of aging or needs cleaning. Here are some tips to help you select the ideal brick for your home.
What Colors Do You Prefer?
As you begin the selection process, visit your favorite home sites online and get an idea of the colors and styles you like. Next, attend a local showcase of homes or ride through your favorite communities noting your favorites. Be sure to observe mortar colors used with your favorite brick options as well as the roof colors which complement your brick best. Notice accent areas in the homes you like – doors, shutters, gables, window frames – and how they blend with your brick color of choice. You may even see specialty bricks above windows, and for entries and steps.
Making Your Final Brick Selection
Now that you’ve done some research and narrowed down your options, you should know that the quality of the bricks available offers as much variety as the colors of bricks offered. As you have already seen, bricks, even in similar colors, feature their own unique beauty and appearance. Let’s uncover what you need to know before making your final decision.
- Size – Like color and quality, bricks also come in lots of sizes – large to small – and every size in between. Note: Larger bricks deliver a unique appearance and require less time to install.
- Color – Once you’ve narrowed down to your favorite brick colors, keep in mind that you can mix and match complementary hues to create your own distinctive style. Think about how the colors and tones blend with natural landscapes as well as the roof color and other accents you want for your home.
- Brick Origin – While you may have not given any thought to where your brick is sourced, it is important. Why? The source where your bricks are made is significant in how long-lasting your bricks will be. The more substantial (hard) the clay, the more durable and expensive the brick. At this point, you should keep in mind your bricks are an investment in your home now and for the future.
- Unique Looks – Yes or No? – When choosing your brick, you may find a unique look that captures your eye. No doubt, distinctive bricks make stunning walls, but should you ever need to replace a brick or two or more, matching new bricks to the originals will likely be a struggle. If you simply can’t live without the matchless look the bricks offer, buy some extras, and store them away from the weather and encased safely.
- Mortar is Important – When utilizing brick for your home, you should know that mortar fills 20 percent of the surface area and will play a big role in your project’s final look. There are many types of mortar and colors which means you need to choose carefully to complement your bricks to get the style and look you want.
- Details, Details, Details – Brick homes and other buildings don’t need to be ordinary or plain. Instead, add your own distinctive flare to make your space aesthetically beautiful. From corner trim to entry stairways to curved walkways, carrying your bricks beyond the expected will make your home uniquely yours.
Should you find you need expert advice when choosing brick for your home or other project, call on the professionals at Turnbull Masonry to help.